A Survey of Prevalence and Experience of the Adaptive Support Ventilation (ASV) Mode among Respiratory Care Practitioners in the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia
Date of Award
Master of Science (MS)
Robert B. Murray
Background: Adaptive support ventilation (ASV) is an improved ventilatory mode that uses a closed-loop controlled system between breaths using the least required setting for minimal breathing work based on patients’ demands and lungs mechanics. ASV mode has significant outcomes when used with different lung conditions. Despite the known literature about the effectiveness of ASV mode, there is a lack of research that addresses RTs’ practice regarding ASV mode.
Purpose: This study aimed to determine what is known about the ASV mode practice in the Eastern Province hospitals of Saudi Arabia among RTs and explore the potential reasons for not applying ASV mode.
Methods: A cross-sectional study was designed as a self-administered questionnaire developed from the literature review. The questionnaire was examined for validity by three experts of respiratory therapy educators from Georgia State University. The survey instrument includes two parts. The population was a convenience sample of RTs. An online link was distributed to 183 RTs from eight hospitals via their official e-mails. RT students, interns, and other healthcare providers were excluded.
Results: A total of 64 RTs responded. The majority of respondents were bachelor's degree holders (89.1%), and the mean of the respondents' experience years was 7.4 ± 5.12 SD years. More than half of respondents used ASV mode (59.4%), whereas the remaining (40.6%) have never used the ASV mode before. For those who used ASV mode (n=38), only (42.1%) used the ASV mode protocol. Most RTs picked the correct answers regarding the initial parameters, essential features, and patient types (97.4%, 65.8%, and 60.5%, respectively). 58% of RTs do not prefer to use ASV mode as an initial mode, but 65.8% prefer to use ASV as a weaning mode and agreed that ASV mode could facilitate the weaning process and shorten mechanical ventilation duration 81.6% and 79%, respectively. 73.7% would suggest other RTs use ASV mode. There were no significant differences between the RTs' perceptions regarding ASV mode based on their current positions. Those who never used ASV mode (n=26) revealed their reasons as follows, lack of equipment (65.4%), lack of knowledge (38.5%), unfamiliar with ASV mode (38.5%), and the physicians are unfamiliar with ASV (38.5%).
Conclusion: The study showed that more than half of RTs from hospitals in the Eastern Province have used, were familiar with ASV mode, and have positive perceptions toward ASV mode. The most apparent reason for not applying ASV mode is the lack of equipment. Besides the known publications about the effectiveness of ASV mode, the present study adds to the limited body of knowledge to what extent RTs know and use the ASV mode. Further research is highly recommended with a larger number of participants from various regions of Saudi Arabia.
Alrastem, Zainab, "A Survey of Prevalence and Experience of the Adaptive Support Ventilation (ASV) Mode among Respiratory Care Practitioners in the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia." Thesis, Georgia State University, 2021.
File Upload Confirmation